Saturday, January 18, 2020

Sunday Muse # 91

Hello Sunday Muse folk! Fireblossom here with your weekly picture prompt. This week I've selected a bottle tree. In old southern tradition, hanging bottles from a tree is intended to catch or confuse negative spirits. They are said either to be caught inside the bottles and live there, or if blue bottles are used, these confuse the spirits into thinking it is water where they'll drown or sky where they'll lose their way. No matter which, bottle trees protect the person living there from negative influences. 

Of course, we like things loosey goosey around here, and you are free to write anything that the image brings to mind--it doesn't have to have anything to do with what I've described above. So go and capture something poetic, then  link, visit, have fun!

26 comments:

  1. My grandad passed away on January 1 and this whole month has been muddled ever since. So dedicating this poem to him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great challenge! I have created bottle trees in three of the seven States we’ve lived in ......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I love the image, and a bit of background on those bottle trees. Very intriguing. I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I echo Carrie--great subject. I hope you can stand a little rhyme with your ghosts. ;_)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spencer had fun with this one (he also wrote to the fox image last week) and he has earned $... I might have to lower the amount I promised! We read about haint blue paint on southern porches - He's scared of the dark and wants his bedroom ceiling painted that color now. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with Spencer on that! Thanks for letting me know to go back and check out both of your posts from last week.

      Delete
  6. Great prompt. We had a bottle tree while I was growing up and I have one now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Will be back to read.........loving the prompt! It took me back to the ante bellum South.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great prompt. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For some unknown reason I couldn't post my comment on Spencer's page. Here's what I had to say there :
    A beautiful poem. Specially love how the cheerful world wakes up after the witching hours pass.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love the image. Thanks Fireblossom!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shay, this prompt tickled my button. Sorry I'm doing it late, on Monday morning, early, still in bed.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  12. I messed up while editing my write and though I had unlisted it. But it did not, #14 is still a good link. #16 and #17 of mine are Superfluous. Sorry. They could be removed but I don't know how.
    ..

    ReplyDelete
  13. My post is also a 55-worder for Joy ... out of town for two weeks, will catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete